Gavin is Director of Technology @ The Consultants-E, and lead tutor (MATALL) on the NILE / University of Chichester MA in Professional Development for Language Education
Gavin has worked in education for the past 25 years and gives seminars, in-service workshops and teacher training courses for practising language teachers all over the world. He is also involved in materials development, for both EFL course books and online learning. Until the end of 2003 he held two posts: the first as Head of the New Technologies Department at International House Barcelona and the second as Lead Developer for the online training centre Net Languages. In 2003 he set up The Consultants-E with Nicky Hockly.
He is a past coordinator of the IATEFL Learning Technologies
Special Interest Group and also past editor of the SIG newsletter. In 2007 he was elected Honorary Secretary of IATEFL
, and in 2011 he became the first Chair of the Electronic Committee (ElCom). Since stepping down from IATEFL in the spring of 2013, he has been selected as a trustee for the International House Trust
Publications include: "The Internet & The Language Classroom" (CUP 2000, 2007), "How to Teach English with Technology" (Longman 2007, with Nicky Hockly - winner of the International House Ben Warren Award
2008), "Digital Literacies" (Routledge 2013, with Nicky Hockly and Dr. Mark Pegrum) and "Going Mobile" (Delta Publishing 2014, with Nicky Hockly) and he has also written a chapter for a book on Higher and Further Education in Second Life (with Howard
Gavin has written many articles on education, technology and online
learning and a regular plenary speaker at conferences all over the
world. He is a well-known author of methodology books on the application of technology in language teaching(see Publications in the Portfolio section of this site for more),
When not working on all that, he used to look after three islands in Second Life
and spend time building and scripting for the education community - the Consultants-E
Second Life project EduCation@EduNation was shortlisted for a 2009 British Council ELTON
award. TCE have since left Second Life and are concentrating on the
exciting, expanding sphere of mobile and handheld learning and training.
Gavin lives in Wales, where the company is also based.
- Blended learning in a mobile context: new tools, new learning experiences? - chapter in The Cambridge Guide to Blended Learning, forthcoming 2015 (Dudeney & Hockly).
- Digital literacies - chapter in Routledge Handbook of Language Learning and Technology, forthcoming 2015 (Dudeney & Hockly).
- Reversing the Blend: From Online to Blended - chapter in Blended Learning in English Language Teaching: Course Design and Implementation, Tomlinson, B. & Whittaker, C. (eds.), British Council 2013 (Dudeney & Hockly).
- Online Teacher Training Modules - Laureate Inc, 2014-2015
- MA Module - TALL - NILE, 2013
- Online teacher Training Modules (ed.) - NILE, 2013
- Online Teacher Training Modules (ed.) - Cambridge English Teacher, 2012
- Online Teacher Training Modules - Laureate Inc, 2010-2011
- Online Training Courses, European Bioinformatics Institute, 2007 to 2008
- Virtual Campus - Netlanguages, 1997 to 2003
- CD Support Materials - Cambridge University Press, 2002
- Online ESP Materials Writing / Programming - The Language Key, 1999
- Mobile English: Article and series of 5 mLearning lesson plans by Gavin Dudeney & Nicky Hockly, on the OneStopEnglish website:
- A History of CALL - ELTJ (Autumn 2012) (with Nicky Hockly)
- No Place in Class for Digital Illiterates - The Guardian Weekly, December 2011
Guest Writer, British Council Teaching English Website, November 2009
- View from the Plateau - English Teaching Professional magazine, March 2009
- Meet the Twitterati - English Teaching Professional, January 2009 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Talk to the Avatar - The Guardian Weekly, October 2006 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Hybrid Event Management - Modern English Teacher, June 2006
- Interactive, Quite Bored - IATEFL Learning Teachnologies SIG Journal, July 2006
- Teaching Online - British Council Teaching English website, June 2005 (with Nicky Hockly)
- WebQuests - British Council Teaching English website, April 2005 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Ms. Conceptions: Gender and Identity in EFL/ ESL Online Contexts - TESL- EJ Forum, March 2005 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Articles in IATEFL Conference Selections - 2002, 2003. Edited by A. Pulverness.
- Online skills sharing is breaching staffroom 'wall of silence' - The Guardian Weekly (with Nicky Hockly)
- Editor of the IATEFL COMP-SIG Newsletter
- The Quest for Practical Web Usage - IATEFL Issues 174, August-September 2003
- Regular contributor to IATEFL Teacher Trainers and Educators Special Interest Group Newsletter
- Regular contributor to the International House Journal of Education
- Regular Contributor to It’s for Teachers magazine
- " 'DISC' – or (how) Do Internet Schools Compare?" (with Scott Thornbury), EL Gazette, 08/02
- "The Quest for Practical Web Usage", TESL-EJ - Volume 6, No. 4, 02/03
- "World Wide Audience – Creative Writing on the Net", IATEFL Poland CALL SIG website
- "Space Aliens Ate My Modem!", English Now!, 09/99
: Some of his articles can be accessed on Gavin's Academia page
(republished with permissions from the publishers).
Video: Interviews & Presentations