Director of Technology
Gavin is Director of Technology at The Consultants-E, and lead tutor (MATALL) on the NILE / University of Chichester MA in Professional Development for Language Education. He has worked in education for the past thirtyyears and gives seminars, workshops and teacher training courses for practising teachers all over the world and is also involved in materials development, for both print and online delivery.
He is a past coordinator of the IATEFL Learning Technologies Special Interest Group and also past editor of the SIG newsletter. In 2007 he was elected Honorary Secretary of IATEFL, and in 2011 he became the first Chair of the Electronic Committee (ElCom).
Since stepping down from IATEFL in the spring of 2013, he has volunteered as a trustee for the International House Trust in London, and also served on the Educational Writers’ Committee for the Society of Authors. He is currently a trustee for Volcano Theatre Company in Swansea. Gavin lives in Wales, where the company is also based.
- Going Mobile - Delta Publishing, 2014 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Digital Literacies - Routledge, 2013 (with Nicky Hockly & Dr. Mark Pegrum)
- Learning EFL for Dummies - John Wiley & Sons, 2009 (with Nicky Hockly)
- How to Teach English with Technology - Longman, 2007 (with Nicky Hockly)
- The Internet & The Language Classroom - Cambridge University Press, 2000
[ second edition published 2007 ]
- Outcome Focus. Information, Media and Technology Skills - in 21 Century Skills in ELT – A Guide for Teachers. Graham, C. (ed.) Garnet Education, 2019 forthcoming. (Dudeney, G.)
- Digital Literacies Revisited in The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL, 2018 7(2), pp.09-30. (Pegrum, M., Dudeney, G. and Hockly, N.)
- Online Language Learning in The Cambridge Guide to Learning a Second Language. Burns, A., & Richards, J. (eds.), Cambridge University Press, 2017 (Dudeney, G. & Hockly, N.).
- Digital Literacies in The Routledge Handbook of Language Learning and Technology. Farr, F. & Murray, L. (eds.), Routledge 2016 (Dudeney, G. & Hockly, N.).
- Digital Learning in 2020 in Digital Learning: Theoretical and Pedagogical Perspectives. Bailey, K. & Carrier, M. (eds.), Routledge, 2016 (Dudeney, G. & Hockly, N.).
- Blended Learning in a Mobile Context: New Tools, New Learning Experiences? - in The Cambridge Guide to Blended Learning. McCarthy, M. (ed.), Cambridge University Press 2016 (Dudeney, G. & Hockly, N.).
- Digital Literacies - in The Routledge Handbook of Language Learning and Technology. Farr, F. & Murray, L. (eds.), Routledge 2016 (Dudeney, G. & Hockly, N.).
- Reversing the Blend: From Online to Blended in Blended Learning in English Language Teaching: Course Design and Implementation., Tomlinson, B. & Whittaker, C. (eds.), British Council 2013 (Dudeney, G. & Hockly, N.).
- Digital Literacies in Didáctica del Ingles - Classroom Practice - Editorial Graó, 2011 (Dudeney, G.)
- Overcoming the Entry Barriers to Second Life in Higher Education, in Higher Education in Virtual Worlds: Teaching and Learning in Second Life - Emerald Group Publishing, 2009 (Dudeney, G. & Ramsay, H.)
- Mobile English: Article and series of 5 mLearning lesson plans (with Nicky Hockly) on the OneStopEnglish website:
- An introduction to mobile English [ article ]
- Ideal phone [ lesson plan ]
- Mobile phone dictation [ lesson plan ]
- Digital word banks [ lesson plan ]
- Secret instructions [ lesson plan ]
- Pet hates [ lesson plan ]
- ICT in ELT: How did we get Here and Where are we Going? - English Language Teaching Journal (ELTJ), Oxford University Press, 2012 (with Nicky Hockly) [ article ]
- A History of CALL - ELTJ (Autumn 2012) (with Nicky Hockly)
- No Place in Class for Digital Illiterates - The Guardian Weekly, December 2011
- Guest Writer, British Council Teaching English Website, November 2009
- View from the Plateau - English Teaching Professional magazine, March 2009
- Meet the Twitterati - English Teaching Professional, January 2009 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Talk to the Avatar - The Guardian Weekly, October 2006 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Hybrid Event Management - Modern English Teacher, June 2006
- Interactive, Quite Bored - IATEFL Learning Teachnologies SIG Journal, July 2006
- Teaching Online - British Council Teaching English website, June 2005 (with Nicky Hockly)
- WebQuests - British Council Teaching English website, April 2005 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Ms. Conceptions: Gender and Identity in EFL/ ESL Online Contexts - TESL- EJ Forum, March 2005 (with Nicky Hockly)
- Articles in IATEFL Conference Selections - 2002, 2003. Edited by A. Pulverness.
- Online Skills Sharing is Breaching Staffroom 'Wall of Silence' - The Guardian Weekly (with Nicky Hockly)
- Editor of the IATEFL COMP-SIG Newsletter
- The Quest for Practical Web Usage - IATEFL Issues 174, August-September 2003
- Regular contributor to IATEFL Teacher Trainers and Educators Special Interest Group Newsletter
- Regular contributor to the International House Journal of Education
- Regular Contributor to It’s for Teachers magazine
- 'DISC' – or (how) Do Internet Schools Compare? (with Scott Thornbury), EL Gazette, 08/02
- The Quest for Practical Web Usage, TESL-EJ - Volume 6, No. 4, 02/03
- World Wide Audience – Creative Writing on the Net, IATEFL Poland CALL SIG website
- Space Aliens Ate My Modem!, English Now!, 09/99
Note: Some of his articles can be accessed on Gavin's Academia page (republished with permissions from the publishers).
- Online Teacher Training Modules
Laureate Inc, 2014-2015
- MA Module - TALL
- Online teacher Training Modules (ed.)
- Online Teacher Training Modules (ed.)
Cambridge English Teacher, 2012
- Online Teacher Training Modules
Laureate Inc, 2010-2011
- Online Training Courses
European Bioinformatics Institute, 2007 to 2008
- Virtual Campus
Netlanguages, 1997 to 2003
- CD Support Materials
Cambridge University Press, 2002
- Online ESP Materials Writing / Programming
The Language Key, 1999
What We Do
Since 2004, we have worked with a wide variety of clients, including publishers, universities, app and software developers, charities, schools, CPD providers and more. We provide consultancy to a wide range of prestigious educational institutions and publishers. We have an outstanding-
Who We Work With
TCE provides international consultancy services in the world of education. We have worked closely with prestigious educational institutions and NGOs, training and development providers, educational publishers, universities, schools and more. We have an outstanding track record-